Monday, July 28, 2008

Exploring the South...


Last week, the Nason Clan went on a road trip. Being the great explorers that we are, we had to see a little more of the South than we were able to enjoy on our way here. We left on Monday and came home on Friday. We visited some friends in Knoxville, TN, drove through lots of neat old towns in Georgia and visited a couple antique stores. On our last day we went down to Andersonville, Georgia to visit the museum there.

Andersonville, if you aren't sure what that is, was a Confederate prisoner of war camp holding Union soldiers that were captured. Robert and I had learned about it watching the PBS Civil War series and also watching the movie that was made, Andersonville. It was a pretty good movie, I recommend it.

This is a staged area of what it may have looked like during 1864. I have to say, being there and seeing the site made me feel sad. I think it is important to have these memorial sites to keep history in perspective, lest we forget and make the same mistakes again.


This is a picture of Justin helping Katie up after he tripped her and made her fall down. I am glad that he tried to make amends, he is tough and sweet all rolled into one lovable boy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Nason clan, looks like a fun trip. Next time you go on a trip come visit us in Portland TN near the end of September. We would love to have you guys come over and spend the weekend. Anyway I'm glad you had a great trip.

Anonymous said...

Road trips are fun. Looks like you got to see some neat things. I just watched the movie Gods and Generals, about the first half or so of the Civil War, so your pics seemed a little more striking to me. Hope you're all doing well and enjoying Florida!